Tom, Bruce,

        Thanks.  I think that gives me a pretty clear picture.  How can we
submit this whole OID thing to the PGSQL FAQ?  Want me to write it up?

                                        -Josh Berkus

P.S. BTW, my conclusion based on this discussion is that I will not use
the OIDs for indexing/linking.  Instead, I will embrace Michael's
earlier suggestion and have already created universal_sq and started
migrating primary keys to that sequence.

P.P.S. Thank you both for taking the time to hash out this issue.

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   for law firms, small businesses       fax  436-0137
    and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078
                                        San Francisco