> The way I'd do it if I had to do it again:
>   Give each record a unique id, generated by the application.
> Denote levels with extra letters.
>
>   So:
>
>    AA   - Automotive transport
>    AAAA - Cars
>    AAAB - Motorcycles
>
> The structures has the added bonus of making it very easy to
> determine all the
> sub-categories of a category, no matter how deep the tree is
> below the category
> you're looking at. With the first approach it is not possible
> to do this in a
> single SQL query. You could do this with a function, I guess.

The problem with this method is if you need to insert a category, or move a
category. You'll need to re-id a bunch of categories, and bubble those
changes out to every table that refers to this table.

Stuart Statman
Director of Software Development
Slam Media, Inc.
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Statman;Stuart
FN:Stuart Statman
ORG:Slam Media, Inc.
TITLE:Director of Software Development
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(206) 391-0187
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Slam Media, Inc.=0D=0A800 5th Ave. #101-296;Seattle;WA;98104;United States=
 of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Slam Media, Inc.=0D=0A800 5th Ave. #101-296=0D=0ASeattle, WA 98104=0D=0AUnit=
ed States of America
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:20000910T063546Z
END:VCARD