I'm trying to use the 'bit' and 'varbit' datatypes in a
      table. The demo file 'varbit.demo.sql' runs fine but
when I
      try to INSERT data into the table I get a message:

      ERROR: zpbit_in: bit string of size 8 cannot be
written into
      bits(1)

      I can add data to the table through the console a la
demo
      file though. I can also write one binary digit (i.e.
'B1')
      using INSERT but I cannot write longer bit strings -
neither
      can I find a way to make the type of the column to be
      longer bit string. Any suggestions?

      (I get the same problem with the varbit data type)

      David Brook
      Asst. Professor, Department of Chemistry and
Biochemistry
      University of Detroit Mercy
      ph: (313) 993-2495
      fax: (313) 993-1144David Brook