Jack,

> 2) check if an INSERT/UPDATE/ DELETE has done successfully?

This happens automatically, within a PL/pgSQL function.  If the
INSERT/UPDATE errors out, the function automatically halts.  Actually,
this kind of behaviour can be annoying the other way (sometimes one
doesn't care about the error).

Now, testing how many rows were inserted/updated/deleted ... that I'm
not sure about.  It would be nice to have a ROWS_AFFECTED returned from
a data manipulation query in PL/pgSQL, but I don't believe that that has
been implemented.

> Is there some more documents or samples for PLpgsql except  USER GUIDE and
> PostgreSQL Introduction & concept?

No. Some of us user-types are working on expanded documentation; until
then, you'll just have to muddle through.

-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   for law firms, small businesses       fax  621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.       San Francisco

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl