Charlie Toohey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> A better solution would seem to use a sequence explicitly, rather than a id
> column of type serial. I would obtain the id value from the sequence, and
> then insert this id into the master table and into the detail table.

Yup.  But there's no need to change how you create the id column; serial
is just fine, since all it is is a sequence and a DEFAULT nextval('foo').
You just do something like

        select nextval('name-of-id-columns-sequence') into $masterid;
        insert into master(id, ...) values ($masterid, ...);
        insert into detail ... $masterid ...;

rather than letting the default expression do it for you.

                        regards, tom lane