Josh Berkus wrote:
Evgren,

I want to propose the patch for adding the hierarchical queries
posibility.
It allows to construct queries a la Oracle for ex:
SELECT a,b FROM t CONNECT BY a PRIOR b START WITH cond;

You'll be thrilled to know that this has already been implemented in
PostgreSQL 7.3, as a /contrib module, by Joe Conway.

Download 7.3b5 now if you can't wait; Joe would like more people to
test his module, anyway.

I have it on my personal TODO to approach this for 7.4, but I'll be happy to focus on other things if you'd like to take this on. The connectby() function in contrib/tablefunc could be a good starting point for you.

Joe