Tom Lane wrote:

I put up a proposal in pgsql-hackers to change this behavior: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-07/msg00818.php If we made that change then the "wrong" way of defining the default would fail in an obvious fashion --- the 'now' would get reduced to a particular time immediately at CREATE TABLE. Doubtless this would annoy some people, but the "right" way of defining the default isn't really any harder, and it would save folks from getting burnt in corner cases, like you were.

Any comments?

Why not get rid of 'now' alltogether? Are there any cases when it is actually useful as opposed to now()?

Dima

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend