"David Witham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> One of the customers is quite large (8.3% of the records):

Hmm.  Unless your rows are quite wide, a random sampling of 8.3% of the
table would be expected to visit every page of the table, probably
several times.  So the planner's cost estimates do not seem out of line
to me; an indexscan *should* be slow.  The first question to ask is why
the deviation from reality.  Are the rows for that customer ID likely to
be physically concentrated into a limited number of physical pages?
Do you have so much RAM that the whole table got swapped in, eliminating
the extra I/O that the planner is expecting?

                        regards, tom lane

               http://archives.postgresql.org