"Sumita Biswas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> But when I type the command "psql" and don't specify a DB name, it says
> that:
> psql: FATAL:  Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.

Yes, because psql's default behavior is to try to connect to the DB with
the same name as your user name.  That doesn't mean that such a DB is
guaranteed to exist, or even that anything is going to try to create it
for you.  It's just a default behavior that people have found handy.

                        regards, tom lane

               http://archives.postgresql.org