I understand, thanks.

First: as I said in my previous post, the workhour_id was left behind by mistake and
has since been removed.

So it seems that I can ommit the distinct completely and just use the query in it's
simpelest form, like this:
  select employee_id, begindate as date from workhour
  UNION
  select employee_id, enddate as date from workhour
And I would get a list of all dates (as well begin- as enddates) where a date can
occure only once with each employee?

Altough I didn't start this thread I'm learing some usefull things here, so some
thanks to the people who replied (and started the thread) are in place here.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vanroye