Jeff Eckermann wrote:
--- Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his
trail, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Sandeep Gaikwad")
transmitted:

Hello Sir,
               I want to know how to check

whether postgres database

is running or not ? when I give command like

./postmaster -i &,

whether all databases in that postgres will run or

any one [default] ?

If any one, then how to detect that database ?

The "standard" way would be "pg_ctl status".  "man
pg_ctl" is recommended reading for anyone
administering a PostgreSQL setup.

Is not enough because it check only for the postmaster.pid and not if the engine is really up.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola