Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
I think the OUTER JOIN version is probably more efficient, but EXPLAIN would tell you.

Well, this all makes me feel better. For everyone's edification:

select registration_id FROM registrations
where registration_id not in (select registration_id from receipts);
Generates 0 rows

The OUTER JOIN version is quite a bit more efficient (by an order of magnitude) than the option with WHERE NOT EXISTS subquery.

Thanks all for the help. Saved my butt again!!
--
.Michelle

--------------------------
Michelle Murrain
mmurrain at dbdes dot com
413-222-6350 ph
617-889-0929 ph
952-674-7253 fax <--- new
Page: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:pearlbear0 ICQ:129250575
Skype: pearlbear
Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I see all the different religious traditions as paths for the development of inner peace, which is the true foundation of world peace. These ancient traditions come to us as a gift from our common past. Will we continue to cherish it as a gift and hand it over to the future generations as a legacy of our shared desire for peace?" - His Holiness the Dalai Lama