On Mar 22, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Sean Davis wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Huxton" <dev@archonet.com> To: "Sean Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: "PostgreSQL SQL" <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org> Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 3:59 PM Subject: Re: [SQL] Self-referencing table question

Sean Davis wrote:
I answer my own question, if only for my own records. The following query is about 5-6 times faster than the original. Of course, if anyone else has other ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Sean

explain analyze select from_id,to_id,val from exprsdb.correlation where from_id in (select to_id from exprsdb.correlation where from_id=2424 order by val desc limit 100) and to_id in (select to_id from exprsdb.correlation where from_id=2424 order by val desc limit 100) and val>0.6 and to_id<from_id;

Might not be any faster, but you can do this as a self-join with subquery:

SELECT c1.from_id, c1.to_id, c1.val
FROM
  correlation c1,
  (
    SELECT to_id FROM correlation WHERE from_id=2424
    ORDER BY val DESC LIMIT 100
  ) AS c2
  (
    SELECT to_id FROM correlation WHERE from_id=2424
    ORDER BY val DESC LIMIT 100
  ) AS c3
WHERE
  c1.from_id = c2.to_id
  AND c1.to_id = c3.to_id
  AND c1.val > 0.5
  AND c1.to_id < from_id
;

I think PG should be smart enough nowadays to figure out these two queries are basically the same.

Oops, I DID do a different query in my previous email than what you suggest in the your email. Testing both against each other, the two queries--using subselects in 'in' and doing a self-join via subquery--have basically the same performance.

Thanks again for the help.

Sean

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq