Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:21:15PM +0100, T E Schmitz wrote:

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:07:20 +0100,
T E Schmitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Would the "SELECT DISTINCT origin" always cause a sequential table
scan regardless whether there is an index on the origin column or
not?

It's worse than that, SELECT DISTINCT cannot use a hash aggregate plan and will need to do a sort to eliminate duplicates. Unless the view is used in a way that restricts the candidate rows, this probably isn't going to be very fast. You might be better off changing the view to use GROUP BY instead of DISTINCT.

As far as I can see (via EXPLAIN), both DISTINCT and GROUP BY will lead to a sequentail scan. Is that correct?

That (GROUP BY using a seqscan) may be caused by the small size of the table. Try populating it some more.

Shall do.
But am I correct in assuming that I should place an index on the group by (TRANSAKTION.ORIGIN) column?

--

Regards/Gruß,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz