Thanks Tom and Rod.

There are indeed several additional conditions on the "real" query which
prune the search space (I formulate a quick search box and filter on
Lat/Lon's within the box). Since my user interface limits the search to a 30
mile radius, there are at most 81 results (in New York city, far fewer, for

Why don't you use a GiST index which will index this bounding box search ?