PFC wrote on 14.06.2005 14:26:
[...]
Now I fire up python, do a SELECT * from the table and retrieve all the data as native objects... Hm, it takes about 1.3 seconds... on my Pentium-M 1600 laptop...

Don't you have a problem somewhere ? Are you sure it's not swapping ? did you check memory ? Are you transferring all this data over the network ? Might an obscure cabling problem have reverted your connection to 10 Mbps ?

I'm sure. Everything is running on the same machine, about 350 MB free memory.

Ouch. I saw you're on Windows so I tried it on the windows machine there which has a postgres installed, over a 100Mbps network, querying from my linux laptop. The windows machine is a piece of crap, Pentium-II 300 and 256 MB Ram, it takes 7 seconds to retrieve the whole table in a python native object.

It's not the program or Java. The same program takes about 20 seconds with Firebird and the exactly same data.

Thomas

              http://archives.postgresql.org