El Mar 28 Jun 2005 13:58, PFC escribió:

> >> Here is where I get uncertain as to if this is possible. My idea is to
> >> create a pseudo type that triggers the creation of it's lookup tables
> >> the same way the SERIAL type triggers creation of a sequence and returns
> >> an int with the right default value.
>
>       Personnally I use one table which has columns (domain, name) and which
> stores all enum values for all different enums.
>       I have then CHECK( is_in_domain( column, 'domain_name' )) which is a
> simple function which checks existence of the value in this domain (SELECT
> 1 FROM domains WHERE domain=$2 AND name=$1 LIMIT 1) for instance.
>       You can also use integers.

I personally think that the ENUM data type is for databases that are not well
designed. So, if you see the need for ENUM, that means you need to re-think
your data design.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster