Axel Rau wrote:
Hi SQLers,

I have a fk from address to network and try to update the foreign key column to point at the network, "it belongs to":

CREATE TABLE network (
  id      cidr     PRIMARY KEY     , -- 'PK, ,IPv4/6 Network address'
)

CREATE TABLE address (
  id         inet     PRIMARY KEY      , -- 'PK of IPv4/6 host address'
  network cidr     NOT NULL            -- 'FK to Network table'
REFERENCES network ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE
)

I tried (using the WHERE clause to eliminate the addresses were no corresponding net exists):

But you can't insert a row in address w/o a valid network.id? That's what the fk ensures.

Perhaps you could elaborate more? Are you trying to *put* on the fk and you currently have bad data?

UPDATE address
    SET network = (SELECT N.id WHERE A.id << N.id)
    FROM address A, network N
    WHERE A.id << N.id;

This also makes no sense.  For starters, << is "bitwise shift left" ...

But this ended up with all network columns pointing at the same net (-:).
Any help would be appreciated.

Axel
Axel Rau, Frankfurt, Germany                           +49-69-951418-0

      match

--
Daryl

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns, will not be discouraged."
    -- Colonel Henry Knox, 1776

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster