tobbe wrote:
Hi.

I have a little problem.

In a system of mine i need to insert records into table [tbStat], and
if the records exist i need to update them instead and increase a
column [cQuantity] for every update.

I.e. the first insert sets cQuantity to 1, and for every other run
cQuantity is increased.

Regardless of how you implemented it, this seems unwise. You can never know, nor validate, that this quantity is definitely correct. Why can't you just insert another row and then count them?

If this is a transient value you might be ok, but I generally wouldn't put it in a DB in that case anyway...

Currently i have implemented this as a stored procedure in the plpgsql
language. This means that in my stored procedure i first do a select to
find out if the row exists or not, then i do a insert or update
depending if the row existed.

Unfortunately, stored procedures seems awfully slow. And i need the
application to go faster.

One solution could be to implement the stored procedure in my program
instead. I think that this will be atleast 50% faster than my stored
procedure, so that would be ok.

However, this has made me thinking. Couldn't this be done directly in
SQL?

Brgds Robert

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

--
Daryl Richter
Platform Author & Director of Technology

((         Brandywine Asset Management          )
 ( "Expanding the Science of Global Investing"  )
 (          http://www.brandywine.com           ))

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq