Nevermind, I figured out that I just needed to do it like this:

SELECT to_char( logtime, 'Dy'),count(*),to_char( logtime, 'D') FROM sclog WHERE date_trunc('day', logtime) > current_date + '7 day ago'::interval group by to_char( logtime, 'Dy'),to_char( logtime, 'D') ORDER BY to_char( logtime, 'D') DESC;

It is interesting that I can't put to_char( logtime, 'D') in the the group by without putting it in the select.

Joseph Shraibman wrote:
p8:owl=>SELECT to_char( logtime, 'Dy'),count(*) FROM logtab WHERE date_trunc('day', logtime) > current_date + '7 day ago'::interval group by to_char( logtime, 'Dy') ORDER BY to_char( logtime, 'Dy') DESC;
 to_char | count
---------+-------
 Wed     |  1447
 Tue     |   618
 Thu     |  1161
 Sun     |   230
 Sat     |   362
 Mon     |   760
 Fri     |  1281
(7 rows)

The problem is that I want those results sorted in day of week order, not text order of the day name, so I tried this:

p8:owl=>SELECT to_char( logtime, 'Dy'),count(*) FROM sclog WHERE date_trunc('day', logtime) > current_date + '7 day ago'::interval group by to_char( logtime, 'Dy') ORDER BY to_char( logtime, 'D') DESC; ERROR: column "sclog.logtime" must appear in the GROUP BY clause or be used in an aggregate function

Now obviously I don't want to group by logtime (a timestamp) so how do I work around this? What I really need is a function that converts from the char representation to a day of week number or vice versa. I also have the same problem with month names.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend