[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Greetings,

the following is an MySQL statement that I would like to
translate to PostgreSQL:

Could someone point me to a documentation of a coresponding
Systax for an "IF" clause in the a SELECT, or is the some other way to do this....

select
 if(spektrum is null,' ','J'),
 if(s19 is null,' ','J'),
 if(OhneGrenze is null,' ','J'),
 from namen;

Do I need to create my own function to allow this behaviour!

my best regards,

Stefan

use CASE

Since I'm not a user of MySQL, and if I'm reading your query correctly:
try
select (CASE when spektrum is null then 'J' else spektrum end),

or if you are just trying to replace nulls, then try COALESCE