On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 01:16:47AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > The libpq documentation has a list of environment variables, although
> > it's not complete:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/libpq-envars.html
>
> Er, what's not complete about it?  Feel free to send a doc patch ...

Missing from that page are mostly standard variables that aren't
specific to PostgreSQL but that applications like psql might use.
Documented elsewhere are:

EDITOR          (psql)
PAGER           (psql)
PGDATA          (various)
PSQL_EDITOR     (psql)
SHELL           (psql)
TMPDIR          (psql)
TZ              (postmaster)
VISUAL          (psql)

I see LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE in a few places but not in the
documentation for postgres/postmaster, which is where they appear
to be used (backend/main/main.c).  Should those pages mention them?

A couple of variables are used in the code but aren't mentioned in
the documentation.  Are they worth documenting?

COMSPEC         (psql, Win32 only)
PG_DBPATH       (ecpg, Informix mode)

--
Michael Fuhr