Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Eugene E. wrote:

you may decide to print something else, aint'you ?
BUT
if they print them then they at least OUTPUT them.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. The only data type in PostgreSQL that has a notion of null bytes is bytea, and bytea prints out null bytes in unambigious form.

the bytea does not output NULs at all.
don't mock me.

Note that printing out a space will lose the null byte on restore,

ok, if you or they or me miscall OUTPUT "the printing"
then "print" NUL-byte itself to preserve it on restore.

      match