Todd Kennedy wrote:
They haven't responded me as of yet. There should be a band associated
with each album -- this is handled in code, but other than that this
is the only relational db way I can think of to do it.

But if a band can have songs in many albums and an album can have songs from multiple bands, it's a many-to-many relationship, NOT one-to-many. Short of the full track design suggested by PFC, you'd normally implement a many-to-many table as follows:

CREATE TABLE bands_on_album (
band_id integer REFERENCES band (id),
album_id integer REFERENCES albums (id),
PRIMARY KEY (band_id, album_id)
)

This of course precludes the same band being listed twice in a given album. If you do need that info, then you're really asking for "tracks".

Joe

      match