Alvaro Herrera wrote:
T E Schmitz wrote:

I have written a shell script to export data:

psql -A -t -U $DBUSER -d $DB -c "$QUERY" -F ' '

Currently, I am using spaces as field separator but what I really want is tabs.

How can I specify a TAB character with the -F option?

This is really a shell question.  On those I know, you'd type ^V <tab>.

True.
Ctrl-V <tab> works fine on the command-line.

(Maybe it would work to use '\t' as well, not sure if psql interprets
that.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't. As far as I know -F literally wants a <tab. character and how I get it in really is a shell question.

Sorry for having gone off-topic. I was just hoping something like \t could be passed, too.

--

Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz