Joe wrote:
Hi Paul,

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 08:19 +0900, Paul Lambert wrote:
I'm attempting to copy from a table into a file using a select query inside the copy.

The following is my command:

COPY (SELECT DISTINCT ON (dealer_id,appraisal_id) * FROM appraisals_temp) TO 'c:\autodrs_appraisal_new.txt' WITH DELIMITER AS '^' CSV HEADER;

I get the following returned:

WARNING:  nonstandard use of escape in a string literal
LINE 1: ...ealer_id,appraisal_id) * FROM appraisals_temp) TO 'C:\autodr...
                                                              ^
HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'.

ERROR: relative path not allowed for COPY to file
SQL state: 42602

(The caret character is pointing to the M in FROM)

I believe that on Windows you need to use double backslashes, i.e., 'c:\
\autodrs_appraisal_new.txt', although the regular slash may also work,
i.e., 'c:/autodrs_appraisal_new.txt'.

Joe

If this is the case, it is strange that the first copy statement works as that is also only using a single backslash.

Having said that, if I switch it to a forward slash it works without error... odd, given that weenblows standard is backslash.

Thanks for the help though.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator