I have a plpgsql function which is doing a loop over one table of user
data and then inserting that data in various tables.  Example:

loop over user table (temp data)
  insert into users1 table
  insert into users2 table
  etc....
end loop

Is it faster to use PREPARE for the various INSERT statements inside a
plpgsql function?  Perhaps I am wrong and it does its PREPARE work
when the function is parsed.

Collin

On 4/30/07, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Collin Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is it possible to have a dynamic PREPARE statement in plpgsql?

Well, you could use plpgsql's EXECUTE to run SQL PREPARE and EXECUTE
commands, but it seems awfully brute-force.  What do you really need
to accomplish here?

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend