  From: Marcin Krawczyk
  To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
  Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:54 PM
  Subject: [SQL] raise exception and transaction handling

  Hi,
  I have a problem with transaction handling. What I need to do is execute an
INSERT command that would not be canceled by the
  RAISE EXCEPTION command in AFTER UPDATE TRIGGER. A piece of code:

  BEGIN
  -- some computations

  bledne := (SELECT g.q_sumka('Poz.' || lps || ' - min. cena: ' || cena || ' '
|| waluta ||'; ') FROM g.m_lista WHERE idf = NEW.id);

  IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM g.m_lista WHERE idf = NEW.id) THEN
  RAISE EXCEPTION 'CENY NIE SPELNIAJA WARUNKOW! %', rtrim(bledne);
  BEGIN
  INSERT INTO g.m_proba VALUES (1,2); -- this is the operation I need to
perform but the RAISE EXCEPTION above cancels it out
  PREPARE TRANSACTION 'a';
  COMMIT PREPARED 'a';
  END;
  END IF;

  I tried to do it as shown above, with PREPARE and COMMIT but it's not
working.