Check the postgresql.conf in the $prefix/data dir. Also post the exact error log (which in this case should be some like "address already in use", because port 5432 is in use by the 8.2.4 version), and also the exact command you are executing.

Cheers.
Gerardo

I didn't succeed installing the two versions of postgres.
For installing I am running the "configure" script as follows:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-7.4.5 --with-java --with-pgport=6947

Although I specify a different port than the default one, the postgres it is
installed with the
default port. The port must be specified also in another configuration
files?

Regards,
     Loredana

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq