I've created quite a few functions that log modifications to various history
tables. (the history table has the same name as the base table but is prefixed
by the 'History.' schema.) The only difference between functions I can find is
the table name.

Is there any way to generalize these myriad of functions into one?

Below is a sample of a typical logging trigger function.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "project"."log_managers_ops"()
RETURNS trigger AS
$BODY$
BEGIN

     IF TG_OP IN ( 'UPDATE', 'DELETE' ) THEN

          UPDATE History.Managers AS M
             SET endts = now()
           WHERE M.manager_id = OLD.manager_id
             AND now() BETWEEN M.startts AND M.endts;

     end IF;

     IF TG_OP IN ( 'UPDATE', 'INSERT' ) THEN

     INSERT INTO History.Managers
          VALUES ( now()::timestamptz, 'INFINITY'::timestamptz, NEW.*);

          RETURN NEW;

     END IF;

     RETURN OLD;

END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE SECURITY DEFINER;

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster