Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
And indeed, most stuff works, but \d for a specific table fails.  Has
there been talk of making a backwards compatibility nod here?  I don't
want to downgrade my development machine, and I don't control the remote
machine.  How fundamentally different is the protocol -- and would it be
feasible to support both?

Feasible no doubt, but fiddly and useless to most.

You can have multiple installations on the same machine. I think most of the developers do as do many of the rest of us. What platform are you running? Debian has built-in support for this, but you can do it yourself for most installations.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd