Joe wrote:
Thanks for the info. The hosting company already offers 8.3 databases. It's just that other things (we use tsearch2) have taken precedence over migrating to 8.3. How can I tell if the patch you mention is installed?
As admin (or somebody with shell access) by running "pg_config --configure" should show "--with-icu" as one of configure parameters. As user you could try SELECTing upper() or lower() on some text with more exotic chars (anything non-ASCII should do) in database which has UTF8 encoding. If it works then ICU support is there.

--
Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)