Rohit Suman <handsome...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Ya...I simply changed column type to text and it worked. :D
> I had requirements where I needed such a functionality. There was no way to
> do it any other way...

You should really, really take a second look at those "requirements".
Applying a textual pattern match to a date is a horrid idea for a number
of reasons, most notably that it's just about certain to break if
someone changes DateStyle.  Think about what it is you really want to
do (select a particular year, perhaps?) and see if there's not a
datetime-based operation that does it.

                        regards, tom lane