Andrew Hall <andre...@hotmail.com> writes:
> Is there a recommended way to translate this function into plpgSQL which
> would protect me from SQL Injection (most important for me) and use bind
> variables (of secondary importance?

See quote_literal() and/or quote_nullable().  On the whole though I
think you'd be best off not using a dynamically-constructed query at
all --- given the desired %'s in the LIKE pattern, there is not going
to be any benefit at all from using an unparameterized query.  Just
write it out without all the string-construction.

                        regards, tom lane