On 3/17/2010 9:52 AM, Ignacio Balcarce wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am facing a problem trying to convert from MSSQL procedure to
> PostgreSQL function.
>
> CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.THUBAN_SP_GENERATEID
>
>          @NEWID VARCHAR(20) OUTPUT
>
> AS
>
> SET @NEWID = (
>
> SELECT REPLACE(SUBSTRING(CONVERT(CHAR(10),GETDATE(),20 ),1,10),'-','')
>
> + CAST(REPLICATE(0,8-LEN (ISNULL(CAST(SUBSTRING(MAX(SEQ_ID),9,8) AS
>
> INTEGER),0) + 1)) AS VARCHAR)
>
> + CAST(ISNULL(CAST(SUBSTRING(MAX(SEQ_ID),9,8) AS INTEGER),0) + 1 AS
>
> VARCHAR)
>
> FROM THUBAN_SEQ
>
> WHERE SUBSTRING(SEQ_ID,1,8)=
>
> REPLACE(SUBSTRING(CONVERT(CHAR(10),GETDATE(),20 ),1,10),'-','')
>
> )
>
> INSERT INTO THUBAN_SEQ VALUES (@NEWID)
>
> SELECT @NEWID AS ITEM_ID;
>
> GO

I surprised this works in MSSQL

CREATE SEQUENCE THUBAN_SEQ
   INCREMENT 1
   MINVALUE 1
   MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
   START 1
   CACHE 1;

Now for the function to generate the ID with the date leading

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION THUBAN_SP_GENERATEID()
RETURNS VARCHAR

AS $$

BEGIN

--now we get the next value from the thuban_seq and add the date to the
front.

return  to_char( current_timestamp,   'MMDDYYYY')::varchar ||
nextval('THUBAN_SEQ')::varchar

RETURN NEWID;

END;

$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

If this is not what your after you need to give more information what
you want to accomplish

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file
attachment with a unique ID number generated by our proprietary quotation
system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be
honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally
privileged, confidential or other information proprietary to Magwerks
Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
addresses. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or
authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any unauthorized viewing,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying
to this message and destroy all occurrences of this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.