Jean-David Beyer wrote on 14.07.2010 14:37:
My dates are of the form yyyy-mm-dd and such.
Storing a date as a string is never a good idea.

And I want to do things like adding or subtracting days, months, or years to it
or from it.
Also the logical comparisons.
Which is all a piece of cake when you use the proper datatype
Years ago, I made a C++ data type that allowed a date datatype where I
could add, subtract, and so on.
I use it in programs that do not necessarily use a database,
To be honest: I expect the programming language to support those things.

but also in programs that do when the computations are the big part of the cpu
load,
as contrasted to just "gentle" massaging of existing data.
I would expect doing "date maths" with strings is wasting more CPU than using a
native date datatype.

Just my €0.02
Thomas