On 09/08/2010 08:24 AM, Tim Schumacher wrote:
>>> I'm kinda stuck situation, I have a timestamp which resambles a
>>> startdate and a duration in days and I want to bloat this, so I have a
>>> row for every day beginning from the startdate. I have created an
>>> example bellow, maybe I'm doing it on the wrong angle and you can come
>>> up with some better ideas:

<snip>

> As you can see in my example, I'm already using it and this is my
> dilemma. Since I can not bring the values of the FROM-Table to the
> parameters of my function.

Depending on how large your base table is, this might work for you:

CREATE TABLE example
(
  id serial NOT NULL,
  startdate timestamp without time zone,
  duration int NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT pq_example_id PRIMARY KEY (id)
);

insert into example(id,startdate,duration) values (1,'2010-09-03',4);
insert into example(id,startdate,duration) values (2,'2010-09-03',6);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION unroll_durations()
RETURNS TABLE(
  example_id integer,
  duration_date date)
AS $$
DECLARE
  rec1         record;
  rec2         record;
BEGIN
  FOR rec1 IN SELECT id, startdate, duration
              FROM example
  LOOP
    FOR rec2 IN SELECT
to_date(to_char(rec1.startdate,'YYYY-MM-DD'),'YYYY-MM-DD') + s.a as
stockdate
                FROM generate_series(0, rec1.duration - 1) AS s(a)
    LOOP
      example_id    := rec1.id;
      duration_date := rec2.stockdate;
      RETURN NEXT;