Hi Oliveiros,

Howdy!

If it is to order in ascendent fashion by, say, lname,
one possibility would be

SELECT COUNT(b.*) as row_number, a.lname,a.gname
FROM "Table1" a, "Table2" b
WHERE a.lname >= b.lname
GROUP BY a.lname,a.gname
ORDER BY row_number

If you want to order by gname just change the WHERE clause accordingly

N.B. : This works as long as there is no repetition on the column you
use to order.
If there is, we'll need a way to tie break. What is your specific case?

Also, note that this method is time consuming, and would work only for
relatively small tables.
AFAIK, version 8.3 doesn't have any "non-standard SQL" way to get a row
number, but it is possible that something like that has been introduced
in later versions...

Thank you for the answer. I see psql8.4 has the method. I am not interest in ordering any columns, but just a line num.

From your reply, I don't know if my answer did solve your problem. Did it?
My idea was to supply you with a pure SQL solution, but the way it works, it does need some ordering criterion...

I'd like to get it from DB since displaytag _rowNum does not display row num correctly: 1, 10, 11, 12.... 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...

What do you mean exactly with "get it from DB" ?
To Include it in an additional column on your table?

Thanks,
--
Lu Ying

Best,