Will Pugh <willp...@gmail.com> writes:
> It seems that is 9.1, numerics that don't have a specified precision
> and scale are arbitrary scale/precision.
> For many operations this is straightforward.  However, when doing a
> division operation that does not terminate, I'm curious about how the
> number of digits is determined.

According to select_div_scale() in src/backend/utils/adt/numeric.c,

    /*
     * The result scale of a division isn't specified in any SQL standard. For
     * PostgreSQL we select a result scale that will give at least
     * NUMERIC_MIN_SIG_DIGITS significant digits, so that numeric gives a
     * result no less accurate than float8; but use a scale not less than
     * either input's display scale.
     */

I wouldn't necessarily claim that that couldn't be improved on,
but that's what it does now.

                        regards, tom lane