Il 04/10/2013 18:48, JORGE MALDONADO ha scritto:
I have search for information about the difference between "unique index" and "unique constraint" in PostgreSQL without getting to a specific answer, so I kindly ask for an explanation that helps me clarify such concept.

2 main differences.

First is the meaning: primary key identifies a record. A unique just tells you that that value of the record, in the table is unique. If you use keys, db structure will be more intelligible (my opinion).

Second one is functional: in an unique constraint you can allow NULL values and ignore them. A primary key does not allow this.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado

Regards,

Luca.