Haven't worked any of the examples in a while, but I do remember that echo $? 
is the command line to display the exit status of the program, so you can only 
view one result using the command.  I suspect that the second echo $? is 
displaying the exit status of the first echo command, but I'm not knowledgeable 
enough of the linux programming environment to say for sure.  One of the 
exercises is to rewrite the maximum program to find the minimum instead, but 
not both.  You might try that one to see how the logic differs, Displaying both 
would be an interesting problem to solve, perhaps there is a way to access the 
contents of a different register from the command line and you could store the 
second result there?  Good luck!

p.s. sorry the code attachment was blocked, so if I have misunderstood what you 
were trying to do, I apologize.

Note: forwarded message attached.
--- Begin Message ---
Hi there

I am currently reading the book. When I finished first 3 chapters, i was trying 
to write a similar program as "findiing the maximun number. However, I want my 
program to not only find the maximun but also the minimun. Anyway, when I run 
my program and tried to output the two numbers, the program always gave me the 
maximun. 

---------------------------------------------------------
For example.

     1st echo $?
         the maximun
     2nd echo $?
         0
-----------------------------------------------------------

My question is how can I use "echo $?" to give me both max and min, and how can 
I define a string of number of positive and negative numbers. Can you give me 
some advice ?

Best regard.

ps. I work under the linux OS. And the attached file is my program.

Attachment: tryout.s.s
Description: Binary data

_______________________________________________
Pgubook-readers mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pgubook-readers

--- End Message ---
_______________________________________________
Pgubook-readers mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pgubook-readers

Reply via email to