Absolutely, this book is AWESOME! I've been doing some more research, and in the examples that I've found in the x86 supplemental System V ABI Reference they actually include the "push %ebp" instruction at the beginning of the main method.
Additionally, if you run gcc -S cmp_lang.c on the file that I've attached the GCC compiler also includes the "push %ebp" instruction! Maybe Bartlett did actually forget to put it in...or maybe it's just optional? Seems like it should be a requirement to me though. Hmmm... :-/ Regards, Jonathon On 10/22/07, roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 11:46 -0600, Jonathon Donaldson wrote: > > > Why do we not have to save the original base pointer register before > > we destroy it in the main method? > > > > I hope there is still someone listening out there. Thanks in advance > > for your help! > > I'm subscribed & reading posts. However, I don't have an answer to your > question. (It's a low traffic mailing list, but an excellent book.) > > I'm sure your answer is still out here somewhere! > > ;-) > > > -- > Roger > http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html > Key fingerprint = 8977 A252 2623 F567 70CD 1261 640F C963 1005 1D61 > > Mon Oct 22 08:02:08 AKDT 2007 > > -- Jonathon W. Donaldson _______________________________________________ Pgubook-readers mailing list [email protected] http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pgubook-readers
