re: indexed addressing mode

In the example given, we specify address 2002 with 4 in the index register,
giving us 2006 (the start of the second word).

For x86 processors we can use a multiplier, so putting 3 in the index
register with a multiplier of 1 would get us the contents of address 2005.

However, the next example is a 3 in the index register with a multiplier of
4, resulting in reading from address 2014, the start of the fourth word.

Now, it's easy enough to see that 2002 + (3 x 1) = 2005, and 2002 + (3 x 4)
= 2014.  What seems weird to me is that the multiplier determines WHERE
in the word I end up reading.  1 gets me the fourth byte, 2 the third, 3 the
second, and 4 the first.

Am I thinking about this correctly?  Am I wrong to think it's a little
weird?

Thanks, if anyone's actually listening.  :)
_______________________________________________
Pgubook-readers mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pgubook-readers

Reply via email to