After visiting the https://github.com/johnnyb/programming_under_the_hood which currently describes the goals for the next PGU book, I would suggest (if not already planned) adding one or a few real world useful examples.
For example, a Bash scripting example might include a script/code snippet for renaming multiple files at once, for teaching variable assignments and loops. I might be going out on a limb here as I do not always use Assembly language for programming, more or less reading the book was for learning the inner workings of the computer as well as learning Assembly coding. But it would be nice to see an explanation of how and where the Assembly language is still useful and actively utilized within today's world. A possibly good example for starters would be to explain a popular CPU optimization register. (ie. Intel's mmx, sse, ...) And/or describing a low-level (GCC) compiler source code snippet? (The later could likely be easily rolled into using the Intel MMX/SSE registers, etc.) Albeit, this is pretty simple when one sits down and thinks about it, but this might be noteworthy? -- Roger http://rogerx.freeshell.org/ _______________________________________________ Pgubook-readers mailing list [email protected] https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pgubook-readers
