On Sep 2, 2013, at 4:41 , Goubier Thierry <thierry.goub...@cea.fr> wrote:

> Le 02/09/2013 16:07, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> what we could do is to not deprecate now the methods?
>> Then we can deprecate them when we release 3.0
>
> When starting pharo4? That would be perfect :)
>
> I just noticed that Smalltalk os exist in 1.4 and 2.0. So my code should work
> on an old image, isn't it? It would also work on 2.0 and 1.4, no?
>
> (or something like (Smalltalk respondsTo: #os) ifTrue: [Smalltalk os name])
>
> When was Smalltalk>>os introduced ?
>
> Thierry

3.5 years ago ;)
http://forum.world.st/Worth-reading-discussion-on-Smalltalk-vs-SmalltalkImage-td1576291.html#a1576588
It's been included since Pharo 1.1/Squeak 4.1, so it's a reasonable default
path.

Though, better use Smalltalk os platformName (which should work in all versions
since the above mentioned), writing a test for whether #name is the "correct"
method to use ala 3.0 would be an interesting exercise since it's also
implemented for older returns of Smalltalk os, but with a different meaning.
*cough* find a better selector for 3.0? *cough*
I think OSPlatform is one of those packages which tries to work on Squeak 3.6
and up, and in that case you still need more fallbacks.

Cheers,
Henry