On 8 October 2013 22:03, Eliot Miranda <eliot.mira...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>

> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 2:27 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 7 October 2013 18:36, Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 07.10.2013 um 16:36 schrieb Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> 1 thing.
>>>
>>> can you tell me what given expression yields for your VM/image:
>>>
>>> Smalltalk vm maxExternalSemaphores
>>>
>>> (if it gives you number less than 10000000 then i think i know what is
>>> your problem :)
>>>
>>> It is 10000000
>>>
>>> What would be the problem if it would be smaller?
>>>

>> that just means your VM don't have external object size cap.
>> I changed the implementation to not have hard limit (the arbitrary large
>> number
>> is there just to be "compatible" with previous implementation).
>>

> If you've really done this why haven't you pushed changes back to me?  You
> think I like the limit ?!? ;-).  But is your new implementation lock-free?
>  I went to some lengths to make sure that the Cog implementation is
> thread-safe, by making signalling lock-free.  But making it lock-free while
> allowing growing was too much work.  If your new implementation isn't
> lock-free and/or isn't thread-safe then IMO the cure is worse than the
> disease, because signals can get lost and that's much harder to diagnose
> than deal with a limit that can only be set at startup.

I understand your concerns. And inviting you to verify my implementation.
It should be lock-free and thread-safe.

All changes are in single file, so you can just take it and replace
existing one..
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/platforms/Cross/vm/sqExternalSemaphores.c

should be easy to pick up for you.

If you don't remember, in short, i changed the way to it works, by
accumulating signals into static-sized buffer,
which then flushed upon each interrupt.
As long as time between two interrupts remain relatively small, it is
highly improbable that this buffer
will be overrun.

--
Best regards,