Also there is the '[squeak-dev] CharacterScanner and stopConditions' thread
following which Tim comments in [vm-dev] "...prompted me to try the latest image with all the new character scanner stuff as well. Wow. Now that makes an improvement. And that's on a stackvm with no fasterbitblt support yet."

b...@openinworld.com wrote:
I guess you're aware of Tim Rowledge's work...
http://forum.world.st/New-faster-RISC-OS-Squeak-td4668157.html
http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/

cheers -ben

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIzvTmV4zkYrFgOdAzfZzC35iMAqI2jc-44XQO9wSwc/edit?usp=sharing

> Also note that Pharo1.2.1 works with the VM used for Scratch in the
> Raspberry Pi distribution - without the need to build your own VM.
>
> Sorry I don't have many free cycles to support, but hope this might help
> someone to create a "blessed" Raspberry Pi Pharo VM
>
> Cheers
>
> Nick
>

> On 2 October 2013 12:47, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:
>
> >> Hi Nick,

>>> I managed to compile a StackVM on the raspberry Pi - a couple of months
>> write it up, but life got in the way I'm afraid.
>>
>> What you did (and I can't) is indeed what should be done: recompile
>> locally ;-)
>>
>> So the conclusion is that it worked and that you can now run Pharo 2.0
>> (and presumable 3.0) as well ?
>>
>> That would be excellent and important news !  And the best short term
>> solution.
>>
>> Either you (but you lack time) or somebody else who feels at home with
>> this stuff should redo your steps and produce the actual VM, so that us
>> weak high-level programmers can have our Pharo and play ;-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sven

>>> * From a PC running Pharo install VMMaker packages (I found it was
>>> * Install the build tools on the raspberry Pi
>>> * Copy exported StackVM source (need to ensure it is copied to exactly
>>>
>>> I choose to build on the Raspberry Pi as in my experience setting up a
>>>
>>> On the raspberry PI:
>>> # install build tools
>>> sudo apt-get install gcc g++ cmake
>>>
>>> # dependencies for vm plugins
>>> sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev
>>>
>>> # to fix:
>>> # /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSM
>>> #/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lICE
>>> # create the following links in: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/
>>>
>>> sudo ln -s libSM.so.6 libSM.so
>>> sudo ln -s libICE.so.6 libICE.so
>>>
>>> Once the source is installed:
>>>
>>> chmod +x platforms/unix/config/version
>>> chmod +x platforms/unix/config/verstamp
>>>
>>> At the time I had to patch a couple of files, but that might have
>> the following, though don't indicate what I changed:
>>> platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixITimerHeartbeat.c
>>> platforms/unix/vm/vmVersionInfo.h