> Well implementing ARM-FFI is largely orthogonal to Athens.
> Yes, i am happily using it for Cairo and it lets me customize /rethink things
> as they go
> without need to touch VM. Which means much faster development process and
> feedback etc.
> But since Athens API is settled down more or less, now it is quite possible
> to implement a plugin
> for different backend, knowing that it won't require huge changes later.

Ok I was not aware you were thinking about that. So this is good to have this
path in my radar.

> Concerning ARM:
>  - Damien Pollet works on ARM assembler for ASMJit.
> as soon as it working, we can try doing something with it.
>
> But in addition, what i would like to do is to move more towards
> platform-neutral FFI implementation,
> using low-level assembler DSL which is platform neutral. There's a work
> started on it
> as part of Mate project, but it is yet far from finished.

I would love that.
Now I guess that I'm correct to say that even with it the fact that it would
generate assembly on the fly
would make it a no go for iPad and friends.

I thought that esteban and you thought about generating the "assembly once for
all for Ipda and putting it in file"
so that we do not have the "assembly generation" problem?

stef