I was only use in stupid halos and the code is not really good.
Now if somebody does a pass on it we could readd it to the basis. (right now I
just put it back for the sound package - but the sound package shows it ages…
the code looks strange).

floatPrecisionForDecimalPlaces: places
        "Answer the floatPrecision that corresponds to the given number of
decimal places"

        ^ places caseOf:
                        {[0]->[1] .
                        [1]->[0.1] .
                        [2]->[0.01] .
                        [3]->[0.001] .
                        [4]->[0.0001] .
                        [5]->[0.00001] .
                        [6]->[0.000001] .
                        [7]->[0.0000001] .
                        [8]->[0.00000001] .
                        [9]->[0.000000001]}
                otherwise:
                        [(10.0 raisedTo: places negated) asFloat]

"
(0 to: 6) collect: [:i | Utilities floatPrecisionForDecimalPlaces: i]
(-10 to: 20) collect: [:i | Utilities floatPrecisionForDecimalPlaces: i]
"

like decimalPlaces:

valueFromContents
        "Return a new value from the current contents string."

        format = #symbol ifTrue: [^ lastValue].
        format = #string ifTrue: [^ contents].
        ^ self class evaluatorClass evaluate: contents

setPrecision
        "Allow the user to specify a number of decimal places. This UI is
        invoked from a menu. Nowadays the precision can be set by simple
        type-in, making this menu approach mostly obsolete. However, it's
        still useful for read-only readouts, where type-in is not allowed."
        | aMenu |
        aMenu := UIManager default
                                 newMenuIn: self for: self.
        aMenu
                addTitle: ('How many decimal places? (currently {1})'
translated format: {self decimalPlaces}).
        0
                to: 5
                do: [:places | aMenu
                                add: places asString