On Fri, 25 Oct 2013, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

<rant>
It's part of the Pharo manifesto: "Not backward compatible"
</rant>

Levente I hope that writing this little pun created some jubilation to you. Or
I do not understand your point.
But this is ok for me. If pun on Pharo helps you then this is ok and they make
me smile, and I'm serious
If I can laugh from them this is that I should be quite strong no?

I'm sorry if you guys didn't get my message, but it was as serious as it could be. I understand that you don't what to be backwards compatible, because it makes it easier to change stuff. As I see, people need various levels of backwards compatibility. Currently the package maintainers are the most affected, who would like to provide the same codebase for various versions of Pharo, and/or other Smalltalk dialects. As time passes, and the number of users increases, you'll have to give in, and provide it some way.

We are all committed to build a robust and clean system that people can use to
create their own wealth and feed their family. We are
making HUGE progress. I mean REALLY HUGE and the space it opens is LARGE.

I'm not following the developement of Pharo closely anymore, mainly because it's not transparent enough for my taste. I see that you're making big changes, but I still haven't seen the breakthrough: I don't see the advantage of using Pharo over another open source Smalltalk dialect, from business point of view.

Levente

It is not easy but people like marcus, sven, esteban, igor, camillo and many
many others
are dedicated to that goal.
All the rest does not matter :)

I'm just sad that other smart people do not understand that we want to create a
future to everybody not just
a bunch of fun programmers else we would only focus on what is fun and exciting
for us. Writing a new text editor is not what really makes igor having real fun
but he does it because this is needed for y-our future.
Same for esteban, removing Package info or improving our VM is not the most
exciting topics but he does it
and I thank them for that.